Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
"OCF Down Under"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Down Under"

Every one, I am new to this forum and I am sure this has been talked about but here goes!

Given what we know in general and every one�s life is different my question is this.

Have many people opted to take 1-2 years of work and not continually do the work for retirement thing and just did what they wanted for a year or so, perhaps doing those things that we never get around to! Knowing it may be the only time of relative health that is perhaps guaranteed with this disease.

Those that did I would love to hear how it played out

Big question I know that challenges our values and life situations. For those that did, some feedback would be awesome as to if it was a positive thing or negative. For those that did not, do you regret it or found it positive to continue as normal

Yes a big question with many a variable but it would be nice to here views on it . Is it selfish, is it what we should try to do etc etc Given that we can�t take anything with us when we go is this a common felt question.

I would always respect the family and other commitments as a big factor but I was wondering what the sentiment is out there.
Kindest regards
Tony

lyph node positive 10/08
Parotodectomy 4/09
Rad six wks 65 grey
Pet scan clear 03/10 no primary
Pet 01/10 base tonge primary
CT 3.5 Tumor 01/2010
radical tongue reconstruction
with forearm flap 2/10
severe Trismus 06/10

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Tony,
I could not afford to take any time off except for the time I was in treatment and a few weeks after for healing. I am the only one in my family with a job that has benefits and as of July 15th will be the only one with a job, unless someone contacts my husband from one of his many resumes out there. I do not regret it one bit. Keeping life as normal as possible for my small children was what we chose to do. Saying that, if I could have financially taken the whole school year off and be guaranteed my position this next school year I would have.

Angelia
31 at Dx.
DX: 4/30/09, 10/21/09 SCC on floor of mouth,
T1NOMO, T2N1M0
TX: 39 IMRT, 8 cisplatin 11/30/09
PET/CT: 11/03/09: Lymph node involvement
PEG/PORT: 11/09
TX end: 02/01/10
PET Scan: 04/05/10 clear
PEG Out: 06/21/10
Biopsy: 12/23/10: fibrosis
HBO: 01/04/11 - ORN
Baby girl born 11-30-12

Hi Tony - missed your post somehow. regarding your question about taking time off - I was off for a week and decided to go back to work. My face was puffy and my mouth was full of stitches but I just wanted to get back to work and out of the house - it was October and it was rainy and cold - I'd never make it as a homemaker.
No guarantees for anyone with or without cancer - during or after you're done with treatment. Getting "back to normal" is just too simple for me - never considered myself normal anyway. My husband was supportive, my friends were there and just wanted to get back into the swing of things - different for everyone depending on the treatment. Do what works for you - Many of us are many years out and doing well - don't waste your time with the what ifs - just live, make sure you trust your medical team, keep your appts. and keep an open mind.

2002 - SCC - T1N0M0 - ever vigilant

Tony,

I took a few years off of work after treatment, but it wasn't because I wanted to, it was because I had to. Technically I've been classified as severely disabled, and was told that I would never work in my field of expertise again due to the challenges I faced after surgery.

2.5 years after diagnosis, 2 years after surgery I'm running my own business and having the time of my life. One thing that this experience has taught me is that life's too short not to do what you really want to do...so why let finances or assumed "responsibilities" dictate how you want to spend your time?

I've always been a workaholic, driven by goals and the constant need to win...at anything and everything I do. That's what get's me going in the morning. To others, a more laid back existance works for them and that's just fine. I guess at the twilight of life I want to look back and say..."I did it my way"...to quote Sinatra. I want to be able to know, good or bad (hehehehe) that I did the things I wanted to do in life. As you've been made painfully aware, life doesn't give you any guarantees so do what you want, while you can.

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Just do as you want and don't ask txhe Drs if it is OK. I have done may things that are supposedly bad for us after our ordeals and I still do things the Drs say are bad for our bodies. But I like to keep this old body moving. You will know when to sit and take abreak

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics