Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Darlin, I'm so sorry that I haven't been I this site to help like the others. I have been hanging on the American cancer Society Head and Neck site. It's kind of tough jumping from both sites and having the energy. Looks like I'm a few weeks ahead of you. I was like you young and didn't want the PEG; plus I am a RN so I was being stubborn. But my sores got so bad I couldn't eat any more. Finally had peg put in 3 weeks ago. I also was trying to swallow everyday but a soon as the mucus go too thick I had a bad day of throwing up. Threw up 4 times in one day. That is when I lost my voice. The acid from the vomit hurt my mouth so BAD; I was crying and I just wanted someone to come a chop my head off! I use Oxycodone q 6hrs and dilaudid for break through. I also have some liquid vicodin that I take because somedays in the early mornings I was getting low grade temps 99.3. I attribute this to the build up of fluids and mucus at the base of the throat when sleeping. Then I had to try and hack it all up. I'll admit once the peg got in and I didn't want to stimulate my gag reflux so much I'm not swallowing that much so I don't have to deal with the sores. If I do swallow it's very little and it's while I'm taking a shower in case is stimulates gag and I have to throw up. I get then to write prescrition for phenergan and Ativan they really hepled. with nausea and help to relax. Just becarful taking them together because they can really knock you out! I also try to chew and spit out a apple a day to keep my mouth stretched.

My last radiation dose is tomorrow 33/33. Last chemo is on Wed. 3/3 of cisplatin. I know what you mean about wishing the pain stops as soon as treatment ends. But oh well we will both get there. I'm not sure what is more painful now my mouth or my neck I have 2 degree burn on right side. 1 degree on left. Using combination of silvadine cream and Aquaphor. Well, this is becoming to long! I just wanted to say HI and give you my e-mail if you have any more questions. I will try to check this site more often; but like I said I also use the American Cancer site too! God Bless! All we can do is put in Gods Hands now! smile

Charles

Charles

HPV +16 Right Tonsil SCC with 1 Right lymph node. Tonsillectomy and neck resection.

Got 33 radiation doses via tomo machine (58 gry to back of throat, 65 gry to right neck, and 56 gry to left neck) with 2 cisplatin and one carboplatin due to possible hearing loss.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Came in and had radiation at 7:45 am and then went to preop right after. Didn't get up there till 9 am when I was supposed to be there at 8 am because of the storm we had this weekend and it affected the machines so they were way behind. But Went in for surgery about 10:30 is the last time i remember seeing on the clock. Woke up in recovery and stomach just hurt, felt like someone kicked me in the ribs, and sounded like someone had placed a fart machine near me, lol.
But so far they have kept the pain managed pretty well. They admitted me and I will probably be here until at least wednesday morning because I have a peg learning class on wednesday at 8 am and then radiation at 10:45am. Plus they have to get my pain under control, and my acid reflux due to my hiatal hernia under control. So Kinda glad they admitted me. So far it's ok, first time I have had to share a room in the hospital, and I have a chatty roommate who sneaks goodies from her bag and makes yummmm noises when she does, lol but oh well.

Also for some reason that viscous lidocaine doesn't work for more then a minute to numb those sores in my mouth, even though I hold it in there for like 10 or 15 minutes. First time i tried it undiluted it was 10 mins, second time was 15mins and still same reaction, only 1 minute. So peg was a good idea.

Hope everyone had a great weekend and a good week. It's really sunny today, I think that is the 5 day of sun we have had in june, very sad, cuz I cant enjoy it, but there will be so many more I will get to enjoy once I am through this because I am going through this, yay positivity, laugh

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Just got out of the hospital last night. Still pretty sore whenever I move or cough, but is that normal for a while? To be sore with movement or coughing/heavy breathing for a while after having the peg/feeding tube placed?

They also sent me home with a temp of 100.6 and said they couldn't figure out what it was coming from and they sent me home on 2 antibiotics and called it good. Not sure if thats a good idea on their part, but we'll see.

Only 7 more treatments to go, cant wait to get through these.

Hope everyone has a good 4th. and those who can celebrate, celebrate extra hard for me as I will be stuck at home.

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Well while minor, you have had a small surgical procedure, so some discomfort for a day or two should not be unexpected after a PEG placement. If it doesn't tone down by then please talk to your doctors. As to the cough and the heavy breathing, (chest congestion?) your body is under a lot of stressors. It would not be unusual to catch a cold, or the flu easily, or to have some kind of -not related to the PEG-, opportunistic infection. As before, you need to keep your docs in the loop if this persists after a few days on the antibiotics.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users