Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi everyone! I'm new here and just posted my introduction last night. I was wondering if anyone had mutiple lesions on the tongue and still had an early staging diagnosis. I have my appointment with ENT on Tuesday and a little stir crazy. Actually to be honest, I only got about three hours of sleep last night. I've read many times about a lesion or one spot, but not a lot about multiple lesions. I do know that my oral cavity is HPV positive. Hence, the extreme worry. I have three lesions I can see on the top and side of my tongue. They are really far back and I never noticed them before I went looking fot them. Dentist found white spot on my retromolar trigone where my wisdom tooth was removed. Needless to say, this is a nighmare. Please, any responses would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

n/a
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services

I posted a response under your introduction post. I had 2 completely seperate areas both Stage 1 SCC oral cancer.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

First off, you would be the FIRST person in the world to diagnose HPV orally without testing previously confirmed SCC cancer cells in an approved HPV testing facility so believe me YOU DON"T KNOW YOUR ORAL CAVITY IS HPV +. There is also no known connection between cervical and oral HPV. No one has proven that HPV can travel from one region of squamous cells to another. Also the typical oral HPV candidate is a male and the typical (70% probability) Primary location is the BOT or Tonsil region so it would be untypical for you to be HPV+ in the first place. So you have that going for you.

Again get to an ENT and lets see what they say and until then STOP OBSESSING.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

Thanks for responding David. I do have two lesions on the top base of my tongue. They are located on the left and right side. Thanks for responding. I've gotten very little sleep and feeling totally out of control.

n/a
OP Offline

Thanks for responding Christine. I wish I could report feeling a little better today, but no dice.

n/a
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Come on now, getting very little sleep and feeling totally out of control is not good for you or your child so tomorrow make an appt with an ENT and put it behind you until then. Sure it's easier said than done but that's what's the best for all concerned so take back some of that lost control.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
OP Offline

Thanks David. I have an appointment for Tuesday of this week with ENT and Wed with Dentist who wants to do a brush biopsy on the small white spot on my retromolar. She doesn't know about the lesions yet because I just discovered them yesterday. My kiddo is also in Phoenix right now with his dad for basketball stuff. He's actually supposed to be gone until beginning of July, but now I just want him home with me. I've read horror stories on here about people having zero symptoms, diagnosed and then dead very quickly thereafter. I feel this is a downward spiral. What else in the world could a papillary raised but smooth lesion be?!? Sorry to be such a downer but I literally feel ill. Thanks again for responding. I really do appreciated the time you took and your positive reply.

n/a
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

OK but don't overlook all of us Stage 4's who are still alive and kicking. Since my affiliation with this site I can count on one hand the people that are no longer with us. I had zero pain and only a small lump in my neck. Had no surgery, no PEG, did have concurrent chemo and radiation and I'm almost 4 years post Tx.

Come on don't be a half empty type, think positive. There are many many many more things that this may be before it's oral cancer and again, worst case, you have OC then it's very very very curable.

David

OP Offline

Thanks again David for the positive response. To be honest, I really don't care about the pain. I care about the pain of not being around for my amazing little kid. I know things are always possible. I know a man right now with stage 4 cancer in his lung/ fused to rib cage, and adrenal gland who was told last year he had four months to live. He didn't listen to the first opinion and now being treated at MD Anderson after reading about the care Lance Armstrong received at the center. He's originally from San Antonio and flys in for every treatment. Lucky his daughter, my co-worker, works for the best airline in the world and he gets free flight benefits. It all kind of worked out. Funny how I'm in this position right now. Just a couple of months ago his daughter went out on FMLA to have her baby. Employees and dependants can't fly while on FMLA due to some insideous regulation. But they can fly on buddy passes. I saved all of my roundtrip (9) passes to give to her mom and dad so they could continue to fly for treatment. My heart would break for her everytime she talked about her father and all of the side effects from the clinical trial he's involved in. Now.....this...

n/a
OP Offline

Oh, and David, I'm also very happy to hear that the statistics aren't as bleak as you read online. I'm glad the majority of the people are still here and kickin'

n/a
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

So are we!!

BTW my wife has been w/ American for over 20 years. Her hub is Miami. She was with Eastern for 13 years before American so I know all these crazy "rules" you guys have to deal with.

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users