Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Jack,

You have presented the "million dollar" questions as I call it. I am just about 4 years out and can only give my personal account. In my case, it was some 2 to 3 years until my taste buds returned to what I estimate to be 90% normal and still there today. I suspect they have recovered all that they are going to by now. I eventually just learned to accept the fact that this is the way things taste now and I guess I adapted. Actually, I have found, in my case at least, the saliva issue is more of a pain. For the most part, I make it through the day in a near normal state but it seems that there are certain situations that will trigger dryness such as stress for one. By far, the greatest problem is at night while asleep in bed. For whatever the reason, my mouth goes as dry as cotton throughout the night, even with the use of a vaporizer in the room. What is really strange is that if I get up in the night, within a minute or so of standing up, the saliva begins to return. I can't figure that one out to save my life.

Good luck and just take it a day at a time.

Bill Dozier

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
Jack W Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the info. I too have big problems sleeping, cotton mouth big time, sleep in 1 to 2 hr patches. At least I think I have something to look forward to with the taste buds and saliva. Still blows my mind how we take saliva for granted and what a huge role it plays. Thanks again, Jack

Jack Werder
69 yrs young..
Quit smoking after diag.
left tonsil squamous cell carcinoma, stage II
diag. 9/2009 rad 10/1/09-11/23/09
cancer free so far. Still on the right side of the grass!
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Jack

With less than a year since your TX, you will notice improvements in your saliva & taste. Everybody varies, but it took me one full year before I could do anything or go anywhere without a bottle of water. Luckily my wife sewed me a great water bottle holster with my old Marine Corps Marathon patches that I wore from wakeup to bedtime. At the end of the year I even took a trip to Italy and could taste the pasta/ wine/etc
All memories now, but at least I no longer have any dry mouth at all. Hang in there. It takes longer than you think at first, but things do get better and better
Charm

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13
Jack W Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi again,

Wanted to ask if anyone has tried pilocarpine. I tried it for about 3 months then gave up, didn't help at all except give me sweats. My dry mouth really gives me the fits but it's a small price to pay. Every day I consider myself truly lucky to have beaten this horrible disease so far. Taking it one day at a time.

Jack Werder
69 yrs young..
Quit smoking after diag.
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Jack, sorry to see you here but sounds as if you have the right attitude. Yes, bottom line is that we're all grateful that medical science has advanced to the point where they can treat and help us beat this sucker.

I'm approaching one year post-TX. Dry mouth is definitely an issue, although I do note improvement in the last 4 or 5 months and I'm sure you will too shortly. Don't know that product you mention but have seen the name here and I'm sure someone will weigh in with an opinion.

I too have weird taste issues but a lot of that comes from my radical neck dissection, which left the left side of my tongue completely numb. I do note some improvement with that, again in recent months, but none of my doctors can predict if I'll ever have feeling there, or how much if so.

I've only relatively recently begun to eat a wide range of solid foods, and even today I tend toward the wetter stuff. Bread, pizza and so forth are a real chore. I would just say to keep the water bottle handy and take small bites with a swallow of water or other fluid, chew extremely carefully and take heart, because things will definitely get better.

One day at a time is surely the way to go!

David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Jack, yes I am currently taking Pilocarpine. 5 mg 3X/day and have been for about 10 months and it definitely helps. At first, I noticed the sweating and runny nose and for periods of times I would only take it once or twice a day rather than the 3X as prescribed; However, I do not notice those side affects any longer. About two months ago I decided to stop taking it for awhile and see if it really was helping or if my saliva was just getting better. Well it only took a few days for me to realize the pilocarpine was helping, so I am back on it. A real mile stone for me was about 6 weeks ago when I actually had enough saliva to lick an envelope! Woo-Hoo. Good Luck. Carmen

DX 2/10/09; Stage 1 SCC side of tongue; Partial Gloss; PEG in 3/3/09; 3 Cisplatin; 35 IMRT; PEG out 7/17/09; Eating via mouth and walking 3 miles/day 4 wks after treatment end. 50 pound weight loss; Clear PET 09/09 and 09/10

Carmen...I would consider it a huge victory to be able to lick an envelope again! See, only someone who has "been there" could relate to this tiny task, that millions of people do every day & never give it a second thought! I'll be 2 years post TX 6/20/10 & my mouth is still very dry. Why don't the Dr.'s offer medication if it is available? I'm going to ask for Pilocarpine! I have been dying for a bolonga, mayo & lettuce sandwich on white bread. There is no way I could ever eat that with this dry mouth! Maybe, just maybe this drug will help!

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***

I got so excited thinking about a bologna sandwich...I spelled bologna wrong! Good thing I remembered the OSCAR MAYER song!!!

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***
Jack W Offline OP
OP Offline

Lick an envelope? I thought that's what wives were for..;-). Well, I might just dig out the bottle of pilocarpine and try it again for a while, who knows? Can't hurt, can't get any drier! I guess the drug works for some, but not all....;-(.

Jack Werder
69 yrs young..
Quit smoking after diag.

If I could chime in on the dry mouth issue...seltzer seemed to work for me 19 years ago after 7 weeks of RT. The carbonation seemed to stimulate what was left of my salivary glands. I understand that every patient is a unique case but this is a suggestion. I was on something called mystatin, I think, so long I don't recall.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics