Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Wow, Lisa, there are 459 Lisa Petersens on Facebook!!! There are only 114 Barbara Pools - lol. But mine comes up first as Barbara Bufford Pool. Can you send me an invitation so I know which Lisa Petersen you are?

I never lost my hair either which was such a disappointment to my granddaughter. She had heard that the Cancer Society in Phoenix gives free wigs and she was dying to take me down there and help me pick out a wig. I can only imagine what she would have gotten for me. But we never had to go 'cause my hair didn't fall out, it just got some crazy kinks in it here and there.

BOT-SCC Partial glossectomy 7/16/09.
Stage IV, Rt ND 10/2/09.
Teeth out 11/5/09.
Port/peg in, 11/20/09.
7 wks rad & chemo, end 1/22/10
lung, colon biopsies 1/9/11 - both cancer
colon resect surg 1/10/11
Folfox + Avastin - discontinued 6/11
lung surgery 3/13/12, 5/1/12
mets to liver and bones
passed away 9/4/13
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi Lisa:

If you'll go to the "Search" box (top right), and type in "Facebook," you'll see that ChristineB has compiled a long list of members with their OCF and Facebook names posted. It's really easy to find someone by using her list.
Welcome,
julieann

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile

Hi, Lisa,

I also could not find you on FB and would like to add you to my friends list. Can you please find me? I am on Christine's list, too. Anita McGinn-Natali is my name.

Anita

Anita (68)
CG to husband, Clark, 79,
DX SCC 11/07, T4N0Mx, PEG 1/08, RAD, post rad infection 3/08,
HBOT 40 dives, ORN, Surg 11/09 mandibulectomy w/fibular graft.
Plastic Surg 4/10, 12/10, 3/11, 10/11, 4/12, 10/12. All PETS clear,
PEG out 1/11. 6/11 non union jaw fracture
Fractured jaw w/surgery 7/14
Aspiration pneumonia 7/21, 10/22
PEG 7/21
Botox injections
"OCF Down Under"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Down Under"

Hi Lisa,
I have been following your posts and think I have found you on facebook. If that is you with the elk on the back of a truck I have just sent a friend request :-))
Gabriele

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

"OCF Down Under"
"OCF Down Under"

Barbara, Julieanne and Anita,
Could have been embarrassing but it was the right Lisa grin
We are now friends so you can find her by checking my friends on FB

History Leukoplakia bx 8/2006 SCC floor mouth T3N0M0- Verrucous Carcinoma.
14 hour 0p SCC-Right ND/excision/marginal mandibulectomy 9/2006, 4 teeth removed, flap from wrist, trach-ng 6 days- no chemo/rad.
6 ops and debulking (flap/tongue join) + bx's 2006-2012.
bx Jan 2012 Hyperkeratosis-Epithelial Dysplasia
24cm GIST tumour removed 8/2013. Indefinite Oral Chemo.

1/31/16 passed away peacefully surrounded by family

Lisa - I know what you mean. It is very very isolating this disease... and you are in the throws of it but it won't be like this forever... It doesn
t have to miserable. Just think of this as a new and interesting chapter in your life. You will definitely figure out who your true friends are and you will make new friends. One of my new friends was actually the nurse who took care of me after I got out of the ICU. I couldn't talk- had tubes coming out of every direction but somehow we made a connection and I am still friends with her to this day.

It is definitely a test of your spirit and character this cancer. Its such a huge change in your life.. and no one can really relate to it. Its hard for people to even fathom what it would be liek to not be able to speak clearly or not be able to eat or to have to figure out how to swallow again.. or live with scars on our faces necks arms legs... these are all things they take for granted.

Just try and stay positive and look around for things that inspire you and you will keep your true friends close and also attract new and interesting people who aren't self absorbed or superficial but empathetic to what you have endured.

You are a tough cookie! You made it through all these treatments. You should feel proud of what you have accomplished.

Don't limit yourself with limiting thoughts.... There is still a lot of possibility in your life. You are 38 years young!!! I'm 36 turning 37. I'm married but don't have kids yet. It is weird how people do that.... make otehres feel weird about not being married or not having children...I don't agree with it and I think its plain wrong. I think everyone in this world married not married kids or no kids have something valuable and meaningful to contribute... in small ways and big ways.

Be good to yourself-- I know its hard to pick youself up and recover from these treatments and find a new path. I relaly do. I've had friends not reach out to me- or blow me off and it hurts me it relaly does - but its thier loss really.

I bet you are more of an inspiration to the people around you than you know.
Gravitate to the people who love and respect you and forget the others!

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!

Thanks Gabe. Lisa, I sent you a friends invitation for facebook. I am having a colonoscopy today - fun! lol I hear the worst part was yesterday drinking that gallon of yukky stuff and I did that so... Made it through radiation and chemo. What an interesting year my 63rd has been.

BOT-SCC Partial glossectomy 7/16/09.
Stage IV, Rt ND 10/2/09.
Teeth out 11/5/09.
Port/peg in, 11/20/09.
7 wks rad & chemo, end 1/22/10
lung, colon biopsies 1/9/11 - both cancer
colon resect surg 1/10/11
Folfox + Avastin - discontinued 6/11
lung surgery 3/13/12, 5/1/12
mets to liver and bones
passed away 9/4/13
MTlisa Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

You guys are great! Today sucks. BAD. My Oncologist who is Mr. Personality to begin with (NOT) informed me today that he had presented my case at something called "the Tumor Board". They all agreed that even though I had teeny tiny tumors in my lymphs that I should get chemo.

I DONT WANT TO LOSE MY HAIR!!!! It's all I got in life. I didn't get graced with a pretty face but God gave me a full head of hair that never saw a bad day. I have been able to weather this shit pretty well so far but the thought of pulling out handfuls of my curls is more than I can handle. Maybe that sounds stupid but I have enough issues around my looks (cant ya tell) that I just feel like losing the only asset I have is more than I can bear.

I am going to add every one of you to my facebook page. I need all the support I can get right now. I think for today I am going to go have a beer and try to forget that I am sick for a few minutes. Glad you guys are here!

Lisa from Montana
40 years old
squamous cell-left lateral tongue & lymph with free flap skin graft and re-section,
PEG tube,
Total Glossectomy without Laryngotomy April 2011
Still mouthy as hell
plenty of war wounds
craving a cheeseburger

***10/14/11 UPDATE--Lisa has passed away
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Lisa, please relax. Not all chemo causes hair loss. I was also worried about losing my hair, it never happened. I understand how upsetting this whole thing can be, as a woman its devastating to lose your hair.

It really will be ok. If losing hair is the worst that happens with this then it isnt so bad. Hair will grow back.

In the friends section, I made a list of OCF members who are on facebook. You have already became my friend there. Your picture is nothing like the person you describe. There is absolutely nothing wrong with how you look. Give yourself a break and try not to be so hard on yourself.

Its ok to do exactly what you wrote, forget about being sick. Cancer is like a theif, it steals your time and zaps your energy. Try not to let cancer steal the good moments from you. Make some time everyday to do soemthing that you enjoy. Even if its something as little as taking a walk and seeing all the spring flowers.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma
2 mo xtended hospital stay, ICU & burn unit
PICC line IV antibx 8 mo
10/4/10, 2/14/11 reconst surg
OC 3x in 3 years
very happy to be alive smile
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Lisa, I totally agree with Christine about not letting cancer steal your good moments. I get that's hard to do but it's worth trying. It is so understandable that you would be upset about losing your hair but it absolutely will grow back. Most of the chemo used for this kind of treatment doesn't create the kind of hair loss you are talking about.

I am not the one whose body this is happening to but I was relieved that they were giving my husband chemo. I think anything that helps to be sure this is out of your body is a good thing.
I think it's great how open you are here about your concerns. Keep posting.

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics