Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Deejer47 #115186 04-08-2010 01:02 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Lisa,

I did radiation no chemo and had no PEG. It was no walk in the park but I made it through all right. I'm 6 months out and eating good with most taste back.

I found this site before treatment so I was mentally prepared for the road I faced. The folks here walked me through treatment and the after treatment issues. You will be facing a tough road but one well traveled. Check in any time and ask any question you need answered. Someone here will have a gem of wisdom for you.

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR
12-3-12 PET - CLEAR
Kelly211 #115191 04-08-2010 04:55 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Lisa, & Welcome to your new family!!! You are never alone anymore, you have us all, to talk with, to vent...anything. No questions to dumb or to anything! Ask away! You & I have/had the same SCC, what is on your L I had on the R. The radiation is no picnic! Get some Adavan! The mask is a bit much! I needed the Adavan, to help me stay calm during the radiation treatments! Take the drugs, they help! I hope the staff where you go for your radiation will prove to be supportive & a source of comfort for you also, I loved my "team". Well, you will loose weight, you will feel drained, your tongue & outer neck will be sore. You WILL get through it...one day, one week at a time. There are many drinks (fortified) that you will be able to drink. When the time comes for that, just ask...you will get all the best advice here from this group! (not from me, as I had the peg) I also had a IV daily, before rad. of Amofostine, this is (yet) to help with the saliva glands get working again! Just yesterday I had a gastroscopy done to strech my esophagus, (a side effect from radiation.) Its no big deal! I rather enjoyed my wait on the gurney, reading a magazine! I am able to eat (not everything of course) & just have water with me - always! My point Lisa, please try not to get discouraged, as your mental state has such an impact on your health. Aren't we so glad for all the medical advances available to us today? Go have a big thick hamburger & fries, & a sub & pizza etc...everyday, you are closer to staying cancer free!!! Best Wishes! Dianne

BOT T3N2M0 No surgery, 38radiation treatments,4 chemo rounds, peg removed 11/08, still have a port. Treatments ended 6/20/08. So far, so Good ! "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish He didn't trust me so much !"

*** Admin update --- Dianne has passed away on August 25, 2015 ***
Deejer47 #115218 04-08-2010 08:33 PM
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Administrator, Director of Patient Support Services
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Lisa

Chemo helps the radiation work better. Most patients who get rad, get chemo too. Are you being treated at a cancer center? Do your doctors have alot of experience treating oral cancer patients?

Even with the gastric bypass, you could get whats called a j tube. That goes in right past the stomach and will give you liquid nutrition. Almost all patients who get chemo and rad have the peg tube. I currently have a combo tube called a G-J tube. Patients who only get radiation usually have an easier time of it and dont usually get the peg tube. There is always a temporary tube that goes in your nose if you need one towards the end of treatment. So dont worry there are things out there to help you.

I hope you are able to eat right now after having the stomach surgery. How long ago was that? Being treated with rads can make the weight melt right off which is NOT a good thing. It means you arent getting proper nutrition and that means its going to catch up with you and down the road you wont feel very good. Try to eat what you want right now so you have no regrets or cravings when your sense of taste changes.

Im sorry to hear about your brother and your mom's reaction to the loss. Losing a child is something I couldnt even imagine. Im sure it wasnt easy on you or your father either.

After all this is over you might be able to whistle again. Its funny the little things we notice. I remember the first time I had OC, my cheek was swollen and I lost my dimple. I also could barely smile. I did regain my dimple only to lose it on my third round due to a big surgery. But thats ok, Im doing good so thats whats most important.

Looking on the bright side of things, from here on out you are not alone anymore. You now have 6000+ new friends smile This site was the best thing I could have found when I was first diagnosed with OC. So many wonderful people from around the world embraced me and guided me thru this. They are still here helping others too! I have met some wonderful people who live in my area from this site. Hope you have some OCF members in your area.

One last thing, please make sure to call the American Cancer Society. They will help you with transportation, prescriptions, etc. They gave me a voucher for $300 to pay my prescription co-pays. The ACS also sent me a couple drivers to take me to rad. I lived 45 minutes away so I was quite surprised that anyone would drive to help me like that. The drivers are all former patients of spouses of cancer patients and are specially trained.

So far, think back to anyone who has offered to help you. Write down their name and phone numbers and start your list. At church or local organizations like vol. fire companies, lions clubs, etc they may also give you assistance.

Hope this helps.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy