Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Magic Mouth Wash

1/3 each Maalox, Benadryl Elixir and 2%�Viscous lidocaine
1 pint. �
2tbs q4h, swish and spit

Susan,

You will need this called into a pharmacy by a dentist or physician.

Almost every day I say to my wife that it boggles my mind how anything we want to know is right at our fingertips with the internet. How did we ever find the answers to our questions before?

Unfortunately, there is a lot of misinformation out there. For anything important, don't use Wikipedia as the content can be changed by anyone.

Although it's been said before, this site has the best and most accurate information about oral cancer. One might think that coming here as a dentist, I knew everything about oral cancer. My education in this area really began in earnest the day I joined the OCF.

What Brian has accomplished here is an absolute godsend for thousands upon thousands of people. I for one, feel that I have become a much better person since I joined the OCF family almost 5 years ago. I had it easy with my treatment because I had some background to know that something was wrong with my tongue. (read my signature) The real heroes here are the rest of you, the survivors and the caregivers that give of themselves every single day. We have lost many dear friends since I've been here, to this a terrible disease. However, I truly believe, that the advice and encouragement given with love (sometimes tough love) here, has helped to save more lives than I can count.

So I'll get off my soap box now and try to get some sleep soon. That is after I see how many more feet of snow we're going to get on Wednesday. Susan, I'm afraid that New York City is not going to get away with it this time. When I asked for snow so I could have a banner skiing season this year, I didn't ask for this much.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

[quote]Are we allowed to ask about specific recommendations or does the board prefer to stay away from that kind of stuff. Just wondering how people felt about Sloan in general that have used them.[/quote]
The preference is not to discuss specific doctors by name on the boards. But posters with knowledge of doctors to either (a) seek out or (b) avoid can send you a private message or e-mail to identify them. And certainly there is open discussion about places where posters have been treated.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
SusanW Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Mary, wanted to say that I have found this place is so helpful and I'm sure you will as well.

I'm hoping someone can help us figure out our next step now. We are still waiting for the biopsy and MRI report. From being on here even though he was told it is 100 percent cancer I know to wait to find out results and get info. But we absolutely know we don't want that MD to be involved(no matter what it is). Even if he is right(and I hope not) we don't like his presentation.
So, we are persuing the Sloan route. We are recommended to several people there from MDs we trust.
The one we are leaning towards works there as well as one of their off site places. Reading his stuff he says all the right things and he has a good reputation. However, he is a surgeon and someone suggested that might imply a bias to cut. However, that is not what his profile says. It suggests an understanding of a team approach. Thoughts?

Also, if anyone did use Sloan and wouldn't mind sending me a PM about any experiences or Drs that would be great.

And Jerry, once again---THANKS.

CG to Spouse BOT, Chemo and radiation started on March 29,2010
Ended on May 14,2010. LET THE HEALING BEGIN!!!

At any CCC, like Sloan, you will get a team approach and you should have no fear that a surgeon will be "cut happy". I was treated at Fox Chase in Phila. and although my treatment ended up to be surgery only, I did consult with an RO at the surgeon's insistence, who was in complete agreement that surgery was the best course of treatment for me.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

Jerry. my Oncologist has his own formula for Magic Mouth Wash, Even the pharmacist had to call to see how to make it. It contains 3 narcotics and it sure numbs you mouth for awhile. I asked the pharmicist what was in it but he wouldn't tell me. LOL And we are buddies.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
SusanW Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Thanks. I think we will go forward with this guy then. I really liked what he had to say in his statement. The ENT still hasn't called us back so we asked our family MD how long it might be before the biopsy results returned. He told us it could be 7-10 days. Really??? Is that true?
I was tensing every time the phone rang and it's only been 2 business days.
Given that is it premature for Dave to do a PET? I honestly don't think the ENT realizes he went for his MRI already and has the PET scheduled for Friday. He told us it might take quite awhile before the tests could be scheduled.
Arghhh. Not having anyone manage this is frustrating.
Whatever this thing is(still don't know how to describe it---gash, wound) is starting to heal since Dave stopped smoking.
Do these things come and go? Is that why it's often easy to miss?
We asked for the mouthwash but he wasn't familiar with it. He's going to look into it though.

Last edited by SusanW; 02-09-2010 06:52 PM.

Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

yes, the wait on the biopsy takes FOREVER. 7 days sounds right.

Teresa
-----------
CG to ANDY. Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPC)
T2N2cMxG4 stage 4. 43 @ dx 8/31/09
tx 9/21/09-11/06/09 cispatin/docetaxel/5-FU X3
PORT 9/9/09, PEG 12/07/09
35 IMRT-1/wk carbo 11/30/09-2/3/10
tx stopped due to complications
IMRT BOOST 3/08-3/12/10
PET 4/12/10 CLEAR!
PEG out 4/14/10

There is no standard time frame for biopsies. It really depends on how busy the pathologist is. Mine was done on a Friday and I had the faxed results in my office by 6 PM on Tuesday. We use Temple U. in Phila. and they are always fast and good.

The waiting is awful.

Jerry

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

My ENT, AKA Dr Death, told me he would pull some strings and put a rush on it. Two weeks and 1 day later after several of my calls to not only his office but the path's office I finally got my bad news. Yes the waiting, whether it be on the biopsy, Dr's visits or test results are part of the Tx that gives us mental issues.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
SusanW Offline OP
Gold Member (200+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (200+ posts)

David, I'm actually afraid if we asked this guy to put a rush on the report we would get one of two responses"I'm sorry, who are you again?" or what happened with you. He'd put a "rush" on and we'd hear in three weeks.
Jerry, I've heard really good stuff about Temple. We are lucky we live near such good places.
What's puzzling me(well, about three thousand things) but is the whole dx on sight thing.
I hear loud and clear what everyone is saying about wait for the biopsy(or I guess the MRI since it seems we might get that back first).

But the thing about recognizing CA on sight is confusing. He looked at it and pronounced it CA with "100 percent certainty." But it looks different today than when he went in.I'm guessing the stopping smoking is helping it slowly heal. So, if it changes visually wouldn't that make for a lot of wrong or missed diagnosis???

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics