Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
melinda Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi everyone! I am a 47 yo rn, married mother of 6. I've had a sore throat for about 6 mo.My PCP has run tests, barium swallow,thyroid scan,EGD.All normal, except nodules on thyroid,and refux(no symptoms) I have abnormal bumps on back of my tongue. Saw ENT last month after my dentist said "may be HPV".ENT hesitatated, but did a biopsy of 2 spots on tongue and called and said yes, it's HPV. His path is to just watch and see if it gets worse. I had abnormal paps about 15 years ago and had a LEEP to my cervix, at that time never said it was HPV. I seem to me more worried than my doctors...should I be? I now have bumps in my throat too and it is still red. Anyone with any ideas about next course of action? Need help...I live in small town, Missouri. What should I do/ask next? My PCP is not too conerned. Thanks and God Bless...

Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Wow never heard this one? If they found HPV from a biopsy in your oral cavity and I assume within squamous cells, then I am surprised that biopsy was also not pathed as a cancer. I'm not an expert by any means (maybe Brian will post here) but if the HPV has infected your cells and your immune system has not cleared it then it will transform those cells into a cancerous mass. Did they mention the location of the tongue? Was it called Base of Tongue?

Knowing what I know, I would take those biopsy slides and RUN to the nearest CCC http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.

I imagine with your being an RN that you see Drs wrong a few times. This is your body and noone elses. Go after them until you get your way and have done what you feel should be. Good luck and I hope the Dr is right but you have to be sure.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
melinda Offline OP
OP Offline

Hey David-I haven't been on here in awhile-thanks for your response and advice!..I've still been going through the same old response from Dr.'s...it's nothing, don't worry about it, maybe you need an antidepressant.....I've seen the ENT twice, 2 endocrinologists, ob/gyn, my PCP(more times than I can count). Since we're on to a new year, I'm going to change my providers and hopefully get some answers. It's very frustrating to continue feeling so crummy and see the changes in my mouth/throat and have all the experts(?)have the wait and see attitude. I'm an RN and I see this all the time with my patients(Drs. who don't seem to really listen.) I appreciate you listening to my concerns. Hope all is well!Melinda

Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Melinda,

I saw 4 cancer docs before I found Moffitt (# 5) and if I had listened to 2 of those 5 I would be dead today. If I had listened to another 2 I would have had unnecessary surgery so don't stop until YOU are satisfied with tyhe answers given to you.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
melinda Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks David-I'm glad you finally got the "right" diagnosis and treatment! I will keep on keeping on....sometimes I think my husband/family think I'm a hypochondriac..lol..I don't burden them with all the worries/thoughts about this, I appreciate the advice and support, I'm so frustrated with the medical community! (and I'm a part of it)...thanks for the response! Will keep you posted....Melinda

I saw 4 of them before I went to the 5th one. I should have stuck with the 1st one and let him do his thing. I have no idea how many Ihave seen in the last few years but there are many. Good luck and use both barrels of your gun if you have to.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

the main thing is to find a dr that pays attention to what u are telling him and takes this as serious as u are.
keep on searching til u find that dr that will give u the answers to ur concerns.
keep us posted.

Teresa
-----------
CG to ANDY. Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma (NPC)
T2N2cMxG4 stage 4. 43 @ dx 8/31/09
tx 9/21/09-11/06/09 cispatin/docetaxel/5-FU X3
PORT 9/9/09, PEG 12/07/09
35 IMRT-1/wk carbo 11/30/09-2/3/10
tx stopped due to complications
IMRT BOOST 3/08-3/12/10
PET 4/12/10 CLEAR!
PEG out 4/14/10
melinda Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks EZJim-I am hoping and praying to get this all figured out soon...Planning to see a new ENT in Springfield,MO(closest bigger city to us and on our health plan) I dread the thought of going through the whole last year of what's been done/not done, but it will be ok. I've not got to the point of losing my cool yet with them, but it may happen one of these days, lol- I'm usually pretty quiet unless my kids or family is not getting the care they need....guess I need to do the same for myself. I hope you are doing well, sounds like life is better now for you. Take care and thanks for being there for all of us who need a boost! We appreciate your wisdom and caring!

melinda, I wish it was better right now, but I was supposed to have another MRI in Nov and it fizzled. supposed to have one done today the 12th, and right after the report from the dr. He was sick and not going to be there. Now it's scheduled for the 20th and right after he will read the MRI and give me the report within 2 hours. But I am alive and can laugh and have fun. Good luck with the work they will do to make sure of you..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users