Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Some of us, me included, will never know why we got cancer. With no known risk factors, I have stopped wondering and have gotten on with my life and have adopted the attitude of "It is what is" without even realizing it.

Thanks, Kelly as now I have another expression to hang my hat on.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Just for the record.....

There is belief by some in the scientific community that HPV might lay dormant in you for decades. This is because we know that SOME other viruses do this. The most often stated example is herpes simplex. HSV1 and 2. We know that it can go dormant in you and return because WE KNOW WHERE IT GOES WHEN IT IS DORMANT. We can go find it there repeatedly over protracted periods of time. It lives on the ganglion of your nerves, until at some point your immune system is compromised, you have the flu, you are under stress or whatever, and it has a chance to emerge again.

There is NO definitive proof that HPV behaves the same way. No one has proven this, no one has published this. In essence there is much about this virus that we do not know. Many viruses come and go. Your immune system clears them and you just get re-infected over and over again in an endless cycle because they are so common in our world. HPV might very well be one of these. Example - you have an immune system which is capable of clearing the virus, your sexual partner gives it to you (over and over again if it persists in them, but not in you is how if might happen in a monogamous relationship) and your immune system gets rid of it, only allowing you to be re-infected in another sexual contact.

So while some people in authority state this comment about it going dormant with regularity, this is speculation, perhaps an informed opinion, but it is far from fact. When someone can identify it as a dormant virus this will be truth. That has not happened like it has in HSV.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916
13,104 Registered Users
Forum Statistics