Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#104009 09-22-2009 08:50 PM
Kimba Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello Everyone!

First I would like to thank all of those that are on the site. You are tremendous! I've been lurking in the shadows while trying to deal with my own situation for the last week.

A little background:

My family and I moved in with my father last June to help him financially so he wouldn't lose his house (that's a long story LOL). I am married with 3 sons, but only the youngest lives with us (he's 15). I am attending full-time college courses online so I am able to take Dad to all appointments.

Just after Thanksgiving '08, my father burned his tongue and was still having a "numbness" in January when he saw the dentist but it was better than November. In May '09, he went back for another cleaning and mentioned it again. A biopsy in June '09 confirmed an SCC at the left rear. No stage has been given.

My father is an ex-alcoholic (10 years sober) and smokes 3 packs/day. He is also a type 2 diabetic with high cholesterol and high blood pressure. MRI and PET show no further spreading.

The Plan:
7 weeks radiation

The Problems
In early June, Dad weighed 203. The biopsy caused severe jaw pain and Dad basically began drinking Slimfasts just for nutrition. In August, it got so bad that he was going into altered mental states 2-3x a day as his blood sugar dropped below 50. No matter what I said/did, he didn't want to eat until he was altered, and then he'd listen.

When RT began on 8/27, I found out he'd lost 35 pounds over the summer (He's now lost 40 pounds, down to 163). While I'd been making soft foods, he just wasn't eating enough. I've tried Boost, Ensure, Glucerna, milkshakes, anything to boost his caloric intake and blood sugar. He would tell the doctor he would drink 2-3/day and maybe drink 1 if I really got on his case. At the most recent appt with the ENT, I mentioned the problem (because he wasn't) and it was agreed upon that he would get a PEG, which was put in last Wednesday (more on that in a minute). The Dr at the hospital wants to be more aggressive and start chemo (we live in a rural area, RT is an hour away, ENT is 2.5 hours away). We have an appt with the ENT on 10/6 when he gets back from vacation to determine if chemo will be necessary.

Back to the Peg...It was put in Wednesday morning (9/16). Dad's blood sugar was low (no kidding, you idiots, take him off the insulin, he's not eating!!! Sorry...still a bit mad over 6 weeks of altered states) so he was kept overnight. Released the next day and temporarily off insulin. Thursday night, around midnight, Dad discovers the area bleeding. He stays awake all night and doesn't inform me until I wake up at 8am. I take him to ER. Surgeon that did Peg shows and after 6 hours and it still bleeding (yeah duh, it's been doing it for 8 hours already) decides on surgery to find problem and finds vessel that needed to be cauterized. Dad came home the same day.

In case you haven't realized by my subject line or post, I'm a bit exhausted and fed up. Dad is one of those "Yes sir" men to his doctors and then doesn't follow the advice, leaving me and my family throwing our arms in the air. Once I came to realize this (late August/beginning of September), I no longer sat in the waiting room and now attend every meeting with questions in hand.

I realize this is the longest introduction I have ever written, but it just all came spilling out because I know all of you will understand...

I do have a question on metallic taste, but will head to the correct forum.

Last edited by Kimba; 09-22-2009 08:51 PM.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Its so frustrating isn't it? Rob would sit in the doctors surgery and nod his head,agree to everything,get prescriptions and then when we got home he would just say things like "i'm not taking that ".He couldn't have been more awkward if he tried and my tolerance levels got to breaking point so many times.Everything was a battle or at the very least a major heated discussion.It just plain wears you out,till the point comes where you hear yourself screeching the words "well if you want to die just go right ahead".I wish i had an answer for you Kim,but one thing i did learn was the best way to get rob to do things was to let him think it was his idea.I would just plant little ideas in his head until he got it,and then he thought it was his and he would cooperate.Its a bit like the principals of rearing children in many ways and just as exhausting

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
iMarc845, amndcllns01, Jina, VintageMel, rahul320
13,105 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23