I am a cancer surviver but desperately need advice on a course of action or procedure to alleviate excessive and thick mucus and a persistent sickening sweet taste in my mouth, which has gotten a lot worse in the last two weeks. Following intensive internet searches and discussions with many doctors I had about given up until reading the 2005 Mucositis
Guidelines, MASCC/ISOO, for which you are a principal author. My symptoms aredescribed in the Guideline and I believe some of your treatment solutions could help me.
However, I have not been able to find a local physician who even understands my problem - most seem to think it's a "normal" side-effect from the radiation and chemotherapy.

On November 7, 2007 I had my tonsils removed in Huntsville, Alabama. A squamous-cell cancer tumor was discovered in one tonsil. I was given radiation five times in a week and one chemo treatment once a week for seven weeks. I was fitted with a feeding tube, which became infected. The gastroenterologist
I was seeing at that time completely ignored my complaints that the feeding
tube was causing soreness at the insertion site and making me feel nausea. The site of the feeding tube became so infected that it pushed out of my body. I've beenoff a feeding tube for about 6 months now. I'm wondering if I could have
another type infection now which could have increased the mucus I now have. The increase in mucus has been going on for about 2 weeks. Since the cancer procedure, I have experienced a continuous production of thick mucus-like saliva, but now it is getting worse. It almost chokes me so that I am forced to spit out constantly. Also the mucus has changed flavor (or is it damaged taste buds?) from very, very salty to very, very
sweet. Now, approximately 1-1/2 years since the cancer procedure, I have no desire
for food (though I make myself have three meals a day). I would greatly appreciate any information/suggestions you might have in helping me with this situation. Also, if you can suggest what type physician I should go to for help, I would appreciate it very much. I have been to My general practitioner, an ENT physician, and a gastroenterologist to
no avail.

Thank you, in advance, for any help or suggestions you can give me.

Julieann
Nov 2007 SCC on right tonsil following tonsillectomy. Was smoker, QUIT. (Stage IV T2 N2b) 7 weeks radiation one day/wk chemo (carboplatin and 5-FU). Allergic to Taxol; PEG in, lost 30 lbs. TX completed January 2008. PEG out mid- 2008. PET/CT 1/17/2011;2/3/12 NEGATIVE for cancer smile