Hi there...sorry your husband has had so many difficulties to deal w/ and now cancer is thrown into the equation.

Is the chemo your doctor referenced taxotere? I don't recall seeing that used concurrently with radiation treatment.

My husband was switched from Cisplatin to Erbitux. Erbitux is not in the same family of chemo drugs as Cisplatin. I'd recommend asking your doctor about Erbitux.

I think you are making a good decision to have your husband in nursing care during treatment. Treatments can be tough. Your husband will need to track his fluid and calorie intake along with various medications for anti nausea and pain.

My husband had base of tongue cancer and by all other accounts appeared to be very healthy. Well into treatment, being his caregiver became a tough job. Add to that the dementia your husband is suffering from and the job becomes infinitely more difficult.

He will need your support, but you will be better rested and more at ease if you are able to let the professionals manage the side effects and do all of the tracking that needs to be done.

This board is a wonderful forum to ask questions, share experiences and to vent when frustrated. People will always try to help you...but, it helps all of us if you add your signature line about your husbands type of cancer and treatment plan. Mine is below the line in my post.

Just go up to the menu bar and select "My Stuff" then select "Profile"...if you scroll down on the Profile page you will see a section called "Signature". Enter what you have listed in this post about the type of cancer along with your husband's other health issues...and add what you know about the treatment plan.

You can update your signature as things change. Every time you post, your signature information will be added automatically to your post.

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.