Yeah, I wish I could make it all go away too. Last time through chemo she had Zofran, Ativan and Compazine for nausea. I think about the only thing that seemed to help was the Zofran but I think they felt much of her vomiting had more to do with gagging on the thick saliva. I know we have a little bit of everything left so will stock up tomorrow.

The Alimta (also know as Pemetrexed) looks like it has most of the same side effects of most chemos. It says very common side effects are a decrease in white and red blood cells, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hair loss, loss of appetite, inflamed mucous membranes, skin rash, abdominal pain, edema, fever, weakness, fatigue, difficulty breathing, cough, constipation and headache. These were all the "very common" (greater than 10%) side effects with some more serious "common" (between 1% and 10%) side effects up to heart attack, irregular heart rate, and renal failure.

They did give her a B12 shot, put her on folic acid and steroids (guess no more baseball for her) as part of the regimen. On the plus side, she is about 15 pounds heavier than last fall when they cancelled the scheduled Cisplatin and went with the less lethal Carboplatin/Taxol.

At this point they no longer plan on removing the node under her arm. We met with the surgeon that would have done the removal but was cancelled when the results of the most recent PET scan came back. They felt that if it had only spread to one or two spots, that they would remove surgically but with what looks like spot on her rib, nodules in her lungs and now a glow at her "portocaval lymph node" (my understanding is that is behind or athe back of the stomach), they do not feel that it makes sense to surgically chase it.

Thank you for the prayers.

Tom-CG to wife, Pam 46@dx
Stage IV Tongue Cancer T2N2C
Dx 6/08, Surgery 7/08, 3 nodes positive
9/08 33IMRT/7Carbo/Taxol
4/09 node biopsy positive, mets to lungs/stomach
5/09 Cisplatin or Cis/Alimta study
6/09 Cis/Taxotere
9/09 Taxotere
1/10 Xeloda
3/10 Cetuximab weekly
6/29/10 lost battle