Lisa - I was treated at MD Anderson and go there for my follow-up exams every 3 months. I am having an ultrasound (soft tissue- neck) as part of my next appt in early March, not a CT. My dr. thinks it's just as good for showing the lymph node system and structures in the neck. Also, on my last appt I had an enlarged lymph node and since it didn't go away, I had an ultrasound here in Georgia to follow up and then an ultrasound with fine needle biopsy. (luckily all negative)

One thing I will say - a lot of this depends on the skill of the US tech, as well. I had my first US done at a different hospital than my second, and it was night and day... My second one was done at a large teaching hospital here and the US tech only did head and neck - and the radiologist was also right there. I think my first one was done by someone who has only ever done OB ultrasounds :-)

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!