Sandy,

As I'm sure you can imagine our body functions in perfect harmony until something starts to mess with it so you can also imagine that having your mouth and throat subjected to radiation can only be a bad thing. You also have heard that everyone can be affected differently so how much "bad" the radiation does to you will just depend upon you.

I didn't have the PEG which forced me to continue swallowing all throughout Tx and perhaps that helped me as I never had any post Tx swallowing problems. I still am not 100% recovered in the saliva dept and may never be so that affects my swallowing as I need to wash things down faster now than before but compared to many I was lucky.

I did many things to keep my throat functioning like controlled yawning where I tried to "fire" my muscles a lot; I would take sips of water and try to gargle 3 to 4 times a day; I took many hot showers where I was freer to gargle and besides they just made me feel good and of course I swallowed many, many times each day just to stay alive.

When I was a newbie and having just completed Tx I often touted NOT GETTING THE PEG as I compared my ability to swallow to those that did have the PEG and had swallowing problems and the wars started. Since then I realize that the PEG is not the sole determent whether someone ends up with or without swallowing problems although I still caution people getting the PEG to continue to use their swallowing muscles as much as possible but obviously the most important aspect of Tx is to survive and for many, if not most of us, the PEG can facilitate that.

Good luck to you.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.