Jexxie,

Try to calm down. Your being upset won't change anything. Sorry about your mom's diagnosis but this site is full of great information and great people to help you and your mom get thru this.

First off try to find out more about exactly what type of surgery she will have. For instance did she mention a neck dissection? See if they Staged her. Where is she being treated? What additional treatment is planned for her post surgery?

Please don't assume that you're going to loose her. I was a Stage IV and as you can see I'm still posting.

She must stop smoking FOREVER.

Hang in there and don't feel guilty about not being there. You stay on this site and you will be her most valuable child in her battle with this cancer.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.