Hello Claudia. I hope the best for your husband. Tell him to hang in there. I know it is tough on you and him. Radiation is tough and really can cause lots of pain. My mouth is usually from sore to very sore but I still am able to do most things with the help of my pain meds and magic mouthwash. My mouth is still too sore for teeth after they pulled them all but I get by. I just cut everything up finely and swallow. I have been through 9 surgeries dealing with this illness but still have a great attitude. This next surgery will be my most intense but I feel I will be able to deal with it in time. I guess the amount of original tongue they can leave will determine my abilities for a long time. I doubt they can leave much but I am hopeful. I have 2 1/2 weeks until my surgery but I am ok and hopeful that it will get rid of this cancer. I still have my peg tube from my last operation in May 2008 so that will be useful. Although I dislike it and hope I can get well enough to get it removed.
Richard

8/06 Dx; T3N1 SCC rt lat tongue & nodes. 9/06 part gloss, neck dissection. 9/06-12/06 35XRT; Cisplatin 3x. 2/08 & 5/08 Part gloss; Brachy 2x5 Tx. 7/08-10/08 HBO 60 Tx. 3/08 Dx SCC. Surgery 4/7/09 glossectomy & rt mandible replacement from fibula. 1/31/12 4th reoccur surgery and reconstruct cheek.