Okay, the can for Jevity 1.5 states that you need a PEG tube of at least 12 FR. Jevity 1.2 only requires 10 FR. I don't have access to a can of VHC and it may not even say - the bottles of Ensure Plus don't. So what is the minimum French (FR) Peg tube size to jump up to VHC or similar super dense "food"
The interventional radiologist implies it makes no difference that they gave me the 12FR instead of the 14FR I wanted, but my paranoia says bigger would have been better for clotting/clogging. I don't like to push back without a basis in fact. His exact words are below broken into a explanation and a specific reply to my overhearing the tech's apology
[quote]Your gastrostomy tube is a 12 Fr Wills-Ogelsby device as shown in the diagram below (the one at the TOP of the figure). It was placed on 3/6/09 using percutaneous methods rather than surgical methods and with fluoroscopic guidance rather than endoscopic guidance. At GT, and at many institutions around the country, 12 Fr or 14 Fr �Pig tail� retention type feeding tubes are frequently chosen as the initial device for placement, especially in patients with Head and Neck Cancer. One of the main reasons for this is that they can be safely placed without the need of passing an endoscope from the mouth, through the surgical site into the stomach. The larger feeding tubes (20 Fr or larger with balloon or mushroom type retention device) are typically placed using endoscopic methods which are sometimes more difficult in patients with Head and Neck Cancer and surgery. This is because the endoscope is larger and can cause trauma at the surgical site. [/quote]
[quote]

Regarding your concern about the comment you heard during the procedure, I would like to explain... Although I prefer to place the 14 Fr Mallinckrodt device over the 12 Fr Wills-Ogelsby device, this is mainly because I trained at Mallinckrodt and am more familiar with this device. In your case, the technologist had opened a 12 Fr Wills-Ogelsby device, and, based on clinical judgment during the procedure, I made the decision to leave the 12 Fr tube in rather than prolong the procedure by exchanging for a 14 Fr device. This will not cause any problems for you and I feel that it is much safer to exchange for a larger device once the tract has matured rather than to try to exchange a newly placed tube. [/quote]

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13