Hi Wanda:

My PEG placement was uneventful and unmemorable. Only issue was that the surgeons stitched the flange down too tightly and the stitches caused discomfort. Nurses were upset (I was inpatient at the time) and finally got the stitches cut away. Skin healed.

Didn't use the PEG for nearly two months after that except once when someone brought me two litres of contrast for an abdominal CT scan (while I was on a strict nothing by mouth diet, IV fluid only). Was able to pull out the PEG and say "fill 'er up!"

Was a godsend later during IMRT when I was no longer able to eat enough.

Removal was even more unremarkable than the insertion. Surgeon simply deflated the balloon which was on the inside and pulled it out. Bandaged the hole and sent me on my way...less than 10 minutes total. The hole closed on its own within a few days. Interesting looking scar but otherwise...

Many here may argue against using a PEG at all. My doctors advised me to eat/drink as much as I could orally but were adamant that I manage to get sufficient nutrition, one way or the other. I was weighed weekly during IMRT and caught hell anytime my weight dropped.

Age 51 at Dx
BOT SCC T4aN2cM0 Dx May 08
Tracheostomy/PEG May 08
Inductive Chemotherapy attempted Jun 08
Concurrent IMRT (x32) and Cisplatin (x2)/Carboplatin (x1) Jul - Aug 08
Selective Lateral Neck Dissection - 22 nodes removed - all negative - Sep 09