My father-in-law was diagnosed with oral cancer over 8 years ago. He continues to battle it today, but even though he has been through several surgeries, cannot speak well, now has a g-tube and has had chemotherapy - he leads a relatively normal life. The cancer has spread around his mouth over the years but thankfully has not spread anywhere else in his body. My own father was diagnosed with oral cancer a few weeks ago. He has always gone to the doctor regularly, so I believe they caught it early. I'm not too sure of some of the details of his diagnosis, but I plan on going to the doctor with him next week. He underwent surgery yesterday to remove the place under his tongue and also lymphnodes on one side of his neck. I'm not sure if the cancer was present in the lymphnodes or just likely to spread there. His doctor seemed optimistic about removing it all and recommended no chemotherapy or radiation. They think his speech will remain normal and should be able to maintain a normal diet after recovery. I was wondering how much more serious it becomes when the lymphnodes are involved. After watching my father-in-law, I felt pretty good about my father's prognosis, but after reading some things about oral cancer, I've become more concerned. I'm sure I don't have all of the information that I need to make my own assumptions, but getting information out of my father about his health is like pulling teeth. I hope he agrees to let me accompany him to his post-op dr appt. as I have many questions to ask. If anyone knows of things I should ask about, please let me know. Also, I was wondering about alternatives such as vitamin supplements, organic foods or anything else that might help boost the immune system and/or fight off the cancer. I am a firm believer that a positive attitude has a definite impact on a person's outcome. Any thoughts or advice would be helpful.