I would blow the mucus / spit up through the hole in my mouth piece with a strong puff of air - toward the end it would gross the tech out when I handed him the mouth piece and it was full of mucus. You figure out how to trap it in the back of your throat without swallowing or choking on it as well. You'll amaze yourself with what you will come up with. Plus, if it gets too bad during treatment, your nurses are always watching you so you can always alert them in some way and they'll come in and rescue you. I would have a tissue in my hand and would have that ready for as soon as I sat up after I was done so I could drool right in to it. I also had a suction machine that I used for a little while at first and would use that right before I laid down and right after I sat up.

Just have them crank up the music. I had treatment at 6am and at the beginning, before side effects were too bad, would almost fall asleep. I would count the rotations the machine made as the sawing noise rotated around that way I knew when it was almost over. Good luck with everything!

Stephanie, 23, SCC on the right side of my tongue, surgery on 5-19-08, over half my tongue removed, free flap constructed from my forearm, bilateral neck dissection, one positive node. Radiation (32) and chemo (carboplatin) started on 6-16-08. Recurrence 4/09 in lungs.

**** Stephanie passed away 12.15.09.... RIP our dear friend****