My father has very recently been diagnosed with oral cancer. Starting on the back of his tongue and spreading onto his tonsils. Our fear is that since there has been a swelling on the side of his neck for 3 months with the complaints of a sore throat and ear ache, they fear lymphnodes may be in play. All this time he felt he had had a bad cold that he simply couldnt shake. After a visit to the oncologist yesterday, radiation is already scheduled to begin 2x daily for 3 weeks followed by chemo in a few weeks.

PET scan and MRI next week. Meanwhile it has been difficult for him to speak from the biopsied area and my mother is actually forced to cook. (Not always a good thing! wink With that said we are looking for help. He will obvioulsy need his strength as he embarks into treatments but it will be painful to eat nutritionally. I fear the constant Ensure will be a depressing sight to him. Are there any recipes for soothing and smooth-type foods?

Mom and Dad are in their mid 60's and live in Florida during the winter and Maine in the summer. Currently they are alone and away from most friends and family. They are frightened and need some guidance for choices especially since things are happening so quickly. Even without the MRI, they have already scheduled radiation and chemo. I have read in some of the posted notes of alternatives to radiation. What of 2nd & 3rd opinions. How do we determine the competency of the doctor? Should they remain in Southern Florida for treatment? Should they explore alternative Medical centers? My father has mentioned the Cleveland Clinic since his dad died there 40 years ago from colon cancer. Which are the best for oral cancers?

Laurie, member 638, and I are sisters and we both share this surreal moment in time. We are numb and looking for any help. Thanks for all of your time.

God Bless

Lisa