I am just curious what the general consensus is on this question. Did getting a diagnosis of cancer make you take a hard look at your lifestyle, such as eating habits, exercise, stress etc. or have you maintained as per norm (other than what treatment itself altered)?

I have found I am eating healthier and taking vitamins and supplements and trying to reduce stress and get better rest ... I have realized how hard I was on my body, eventhough it did not seem that bad, until I looked closely ... I figure I did not "CATCH" cancer from anyone, so I had better pay attention to my body saying it was weaker than i thought.

I have been really surprised that none of my doctors through this have mentioned anything to do with living healthier to try to reduce chance of recurrence? I read it everywhere but do not hear it from them... I guess their focus has to remain on getting you over the diagnosis, and worry about prevention on another day? But hey, we are adults and can figure it out ourselves when changes need made.

I would sure like to know the stats on how much better people fare after treatment if they make changes needed for healthier lifestyle vs those who go on after treatment as per norm ... as in less chance of recurrence ... anyone ever read anything on this? i can't find actual studies on it to get real stats.

Rita - Age 44
wife, mother of 4 - ages 3,16,21,24 & grandma to 1
(R upper) Maxillectomy 8/8/08 - UW / Seattle, WA.

===============================

"Those who think by the inch and speak by the yard, should be kicked by the foot."