I am about a week farther along and also received radiation appropriate for a BOT primary.

Although I never suffered through the excessive mucous problem, this area of the throat has and still is my most significant healing issue.

Often the "swallow muscle" part of my throat seems quite tight and constricted. For weeks I had spells when a persistent ticklish irritation would develop in that area and cause me to have coughing spells.

Finally that irritation seems to have subsided, but the recurring tightness/constriction is still an issue and I think if I added mucous it would definitely equate to 'choking' like spells.

Of note, my ENT told me this area takes months to heal and normalize and he said in my case this seems to be the area where the radiation damage is the most significant and evident.

Also the radiation left:
-- short deep creases around my chin where I had had prior reconstructive surgery. The creases have now gone away.
-- extremely tight skin along the sides of my neck that has now loosed up.
-- a double ridge of excess skin hanging down the middle of my neck that is now gone.
-- And, Now I have developed a golf ball size jello like wad hanging around and below my Adam's Apple.

The ENT thinks in couple months the jello golf ball will also subside. So things keep changing every month.

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11