Tabitha, the feeding tube is no big deal to put in or manage, and can be a life saver. Because he will be sedated for the PEG insertion, they could easily do the chemo port at the same time. As far as eating with the PEG, as long as he can swallow, he can eat anything he wants by mouth. The PEG is for nutrition, medication, and hydration if he is unable to take things by mouth. When my mouth was sore, I used to take my tube up to a faucet and "fill 'er up" to make sure I was getting enough water. We do have highly filtered water though, so I don't necessarily recommend this everywhere. As far as your dad losing his teeth, I am still angry that the piles of $$ I paid to a dentist didn't keep me from having upper and lower back teeth pulled prior to radiation. Honestly, that is the only time I cried. Don't know why that was such a big deal, but I can understand your dad's feelings. I came to feel, however, as will he, that in the grand scheme of things, being alive is more important than a few teeth, which can be replaced anyway when all is said and done. That is great news about the CT scans! You and your brother and dad are going to have a lot of questions, so just ask away, and there will undoubtedly be someone who will have an answer for you.
Joanna
P.S. One more thing. Use the search function to find out everything you want to know and more about PEG tubes, as this has been much discussed on this forum.