Hi all. I had the appointment with the radiation doctor last Thursday. This is a different doctor and hospital than my first treatments. The surgeon that did my flap wants to use this doctor. He says that he is the doctor to have for head and neck cancer treatment.

The hospital just built and opened a Cancer Treatment Center last year and it is very nice. They have a new radiation machine that will deliver the radiation treatments faster. It is one of 11 like it in the country. I liked the nurse that will be working with me and I liked the doctor. He was very thorough and a little matter-of-fact about things, but he covered everything. There are not a lot of cases that have had radiation treatment twice to the same areas so there is not a lot for us to compare my case to. This is a little frightening. While he gave me the "worse case" side effects I am hoping for none of them. Especially the ones where my recent surgery does not heal and we have to operate more.

The other part of the treatment is what he called a cancer antibody called Erbitux. I googled it and found quite a bit of information on it. It does have side effects, but they are not supposed to be like chemo. I did not handle chemo well at all. I will get the Erbitux once a week at the Oncologist's office.

The doctor did make the comment that we did not have a choice about doing this second radiation treatment based on my margins from the last surgery which made me nervous. I truly don't want a 3rd recurrence.

SCC Floor of Mouth 7/06
9/06 Surgery, bilateral neck dissection, 58 nodes clear PT2pN0pMx
35 rad 2006
Recurred 6/08, 1 Carboplatin, 1 Cisplatin
Surgery 9/08 - Total glossectomy, free flap from pectoral muscle, left mandible replaced using fibula
35 IMRT & Erbitux 11/08
4/15/09 recurrence
6/1/09 passed away, rest in peace