I am now 5 weeks out from treatment and for the last two weeks I've been trying to transition from tube feeds to eating by mouth. At first my throat was sore, tight and scratchy but its really eased up in the last week. I still have very thick, sticky saliva, but Robitussen and salt water rinses seem to work well for clearing it out. I can't taste much and eating some foods is a little like eating library paste (I think! I've never actually eaten library paste).

The challenge at this point? My tongue is still incredibly raw. Its actually getting worse! I slather the viscous lidocaine on it which lasts for about 3 minutes and its right back to hurting again. The sore tongue coupled with a queasy stomach after about 6 bites of food is making this exercise really difficult and I'm starting to get a little discouraged.

I'm not sure if I'm looking for advice here, or sympathy, or what. I guess mostly I needed to rant to folks who will understand. Thanks all for listening.

- Margaret

Stage IV SCC lt lateral tongue, surgery 5/19/08 (partial gloss/upper neck dissection left side/radial free flap reconstruction) IMRT w/weekly Cisplatin & Erbitux 6/30/08, PEG 1 6/12/08 - out 7/14 (in abdominal wall, not stomach), PEG 2 7/23/08 - out 11/20/08, Tx done 8/18/08
Second SCC tumor, Stage 1, rt mobile tongue, removed 10/18/2016, right neck dissection 12/9/2016
Third SCC tumor, diagnosed, 4/19/2108, rt submandibular mass, HPV-, IMRT w/ weekly Cisplatin, 5/9 - 6/25/2018, PEG 3 5/31/2018