We've been close next door neighbors for about 7 years now and we always talk and go to the same parties, etc. Their dog and my dog and one of my cats are best friends. Even though I'm not his CPA he has asked for my financial advice re his business in the past. My wife and I knew he had cancer 2 months ago... started loosing weight; developed a raspy voice and was coughing like crazy...but I never found the right moment to say "hey are you all right?" and "you really need to have that looked at with your history of tobacco" type of discussion. Then 2 weeks ago his wife saw me outside and told me he was going for a biopsy for something they found on his voice box. I told her to let me know what the biopsy said, which they did and then I tried to get him more prepared than his doctor had. It's frustrating to know this won't be a piece of cake and I/we could help him soooo much but I can't push to make him listen so I just have to sit back and wait for him to come to me/us.

He keeps trying to compare my Staging to his as justification to why he will fare better but as far as I'm concerned my Stage IV HPV+ SCC is probably no different or even better than his Stage II Tobacco+ SCC. I just hope his doctor hits him with the kitchen sink and takes care of his cancer now.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.