My H&N surgeon told me that he thought that my tumor was around 2 years old at the time of diagnosis. It was essentially asymptomatic - no pain, just a mild sensation of something caught in my throat and a little hoarseness. It was a tan rubbery blob that had gotten do large that it pushed my uvula to the side.

Radiation decimated it and the tonsil it was attached to - I had no surgery. Everyone's story is a little different however so your experience may not mirror mine. There are other tonsil diseases that are not cancerous, such as PTA (peritonsillar abcess). If they give you antibiotics and there is no response by two weeks then you should get a referal to an ENT or head & neck surgeon for a more comprehensive examination and biopsy if need be (be sure that the doctor has head & neck cancer experience). Visual examination, palpation exam and the biopsy are the gold standard.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)