I hope this doesnt ramble much but I have to vent and see if anyone understands what my husband is experiencing. Noaopharynx(nasal cavity) RARE cancer 35 rads, 3 mega cisplatin, peg tube, picc. THen the doctor wanted to continue the chemo treatment(cisplatin and 5FU) because he did so well with all of the above treatment.

Last week he had the first dose of cisplatin and the 5FU via the pump. After several mishaps with our chemo doctor I changed doctors on Friday but stayed with the same chemo practice.

Over the weekend my husbands mouth started with the sores and I called the doctor for antibiotics. He hates the ER so I managed his pain at home and took him to the chemo office this morning for fluids and to get the doctor to check his mouth, throat and chest pain.

It took 90 minutes to get someone to look at his mouth and when the doctor saw it he called it a "severe chemical burn". The doctor says that they will have to change the amount of 5FU dramatically...does this mean that they gave him the wrong amount? Then they checked him into the hospital for fluids, antibiotics, work on the 8lbs he lost in 2 days and morphine to get a handle on the pain. My ultimate question is has anyone heard of a severe chemical burn??

On a side note he hasnt been able to swallow since Saturday morning and the first nurse was confused about the peg tube and the meds. She had to reorder some meds and didnt have a syringe so I offered her mine so that she didnt have to go thru the red tape of ordering one.

Next shift nurse comes with Xanax in pill form and we inform her that he cant take meds by mouth. She says "so you dont want the xanax, and we say yes but it needs to be crushed and put into the peg. We offer her our crusher and she refuses. She says we dont have orders for the peg so you dont want the pill! She went off to the hall to discuss the trials and tribulations to the other nurses about how she cant give him meds via the peg. SERIOUSLY.

So I am DONE at this point so I got one of his pills from my purse crushed it put it in is peg and told her we didnt need the pill and that I had already given it to him. Needless to say she called the doctor and he scolded my husband for my dirty deed. I am so tired of the everyday BS!!!!

Thanks for listening.
Cindy