Hi,

As others have pointed out, each person has different experiences and not all treatments are exact.

My Dad did his treatment at age 69 Apr-Jun 2006; 35 IMRT rads and 3 cisplatin chemo's (weeks 1, 3 and 6 I think). The last 2 weeks of treatment things got rough. This is when he started using the pain meds. The last week of treatment was the worst. He was very tired and nauseas. The treatment center gave him daily IV fluids the last week of treatment for hydration before each rad (this helped). Getting up the phlegm was very hard and rough on him. He wasn't getting as many cans in the tube either. He lost a total of 80lbs (he had the weight to loose).

As I recall the first week post treatment; not having to go each day for rads made it a wee bit better. By the 2nd week post treatment things were starting to improve each day better and off the pain meds. A week after that he was eating by mouth again.

So hang in there. Stay strong. If your father needs somethng speak up at the treatment center. Make sure he's hydrated! Very important.

Best wishes,
LisaB

My Dad (Sam) at age 69 dx SCC Base of Tongue T1N2C Well-Diff - March 2006.

35 IMRT rads & 3 Cisplatin chemos - Apr-June/06. Nodes shrunk 50% Dr's suggest ND. Negative PET - he declined ND.

March/07 Had Bilateral ND. No Cancer!! Doing Well!