'in your face' by Lia Mills

My daughter-in-law read a review of this book in OK magazine and ordered me a copy--I've found it absolutely compulsive reading--it's based on the diaries she kept during symptoms/diagnosis/treatment/recovery from OC. Just need to share this quote with you:

"Cancer. The crab. I know it's inaccurate to link the star sign with the disease but it describes the way I imagine my tumour perfectly: hard-shelled and ugly, flesh-coloured, swelling and sucking at my cheek. Then those pincer-nips, the vice-like grip clamped to my mouth, dragging me down into that sink-hole of soft gloopy substance, half-water, half-sand, created by low tide; the kind of substance where life begins.
There is something about this tumour's being externally visible. People look for the swelling on my cheek then their eyes jump away."

A lot of it is like reading the questions/answers here on the boards from every category--and it was Minnie and her girls who kept springing to mind as I read it!

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!