Hi mike,i really cant answer your questions but i can give you an idea of how you would be feeling and what you would be seeing if it was shingles.
Shingles or "Herpes Zoster"by nature develops along the path of a nerve,the most usual ones being the trigeminal nerve,the sciatic nerve,and the nerve around the abdomen.It appears as a blister like sore and then develop into a red and very painful rash that follows the path of the involved nerve and ultimately forms a scabby top

The trigeminal nerve branches in three directions from the junction of your ear and the hinge of your jaw.The commonest symptoms of shingles are severe burning pain and itching.you will also find you have a flu like illness.

I cant say i have ever been aware of anything like the swellings you mentioned,but i am pretty sure you would be feeling quite unwell if it was shingles.

Any way not long to wait for your appointment so good luck.

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.