I very frequently - I've had 6 flights since the 18th of August. I'll be flying at least one roundtrip each week - if not 2-3 each week in September and October. I'll post if I find anything different - however, I do have drymouth issues - but not as severe as most of the people who are wondering what they can do. I can tolerate it okay if I have to. I am just posting what I have found so far and if I find out differently - I'll update this thread.

For those who are interested, here is what I have found so far:

I always have in my purse the following items:
A travel size toothpaste,
A nasal inhaler for allergies - labeled with the rx,
An albuterol inhaler - again labeled with the rx,
chapstick,
lip gloss (yes the prohibited kind),
small bottle of lotion that you get from the hotels.

I always get any drink taken away from me in the secruity line. I've had my bag searched by hand twice (some x-ray operators don't flag it for review and some do). They took the toothpaste away today - but didn't see the lotion or the lipgloss - which were in plain view. They did double check the inhalers - but I've been through the lines multiple times when they don't check inside my purse at all.

I think the busier they are - the less they check - they are just too busy to check everyone. And - I also think it depends on where you depart. I left Miami today - and that is where they took the toothpaste - but missed the lotion and lip gloss.

I think also - that if you are a man - traveling alone - who has any resemblance at all to a different nationality - they are going to search your bag or at least really check it on the x-ray machine. Unfortunate - but it is happening.

My advice to anyone traveling - if it is something that you need - but can survive without for a few hours - pack it in the checked bags. If it is something that you'd like on the plane - but could survive without - and if it is replaceable easily and cheaply - put it in your purse or carryon bag and don't mention it - if they find it they'll throw it out - if they don't - they dont'. If there is something that you can't possibly do without, I'd advise that you get a perscription or a pharmacy label if possible and label everything that you can - you have a better chance of being allowed to keep stuff - but no guarantees unless they change in the near future - but I really don't see that happening.

I know I've been very tempted to hide a water bottle in my carryon after I get through security - b/c in most (but not all) airports and terminals - you can purchase drinks after going through security. (If you are traveling out of a small airport / terminal - make sure to check about this before going through security - as it might be a long time before you get your first drink - when it is served on the plane!)...but I have never tried to sneak a bottle on the plane. I know that others would complain if they saw it - and you'd get the flight attendants all worked up and they might actually take action against you for trying - or it might delay your flight or a number of things.

In all - for me it hasn't been horrible. However, like I stated earlier - my dry mouth is no where as severe a many on this site. I have it due to the lingual salivary glands being removed - leaving me with just the parotids - but I didn't have radiation - so I don't have that damage to deal with.

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.