I have a question for people who have had base of tongue cancer. Has anyone had surgery to input a flap? I don't mean to sound ignorant, my cancer was on the left side of my tongue and 1/2 of my tongue was removed with flap reconstruction. I talked with a man yesterday (3 year oral cancer survivor) who told me that he is still on a feeding tube, cannot swallow to eat because he was told base of tongue could not be reconstructed. He had his surgery at a hospital in Baltimore, he asked for my surgeon's name to talk with him about reconstruction and come off the tube. Anyone know of this? He is so upbeat through it all, he told me that he was a non smoker (I would guess his age in his 50's)had some problems with swallowing, etc. his dentist also held off on any real treatment or referral for months. Finally he saw a doctor at the hospital and she told him that there was good news and bad, he asked for the bad first. She told him he had oral cancer, the good news, she thought she could save his life. Thanks for any input, this gentleman made me feel downright blessed and lucky that I can eat and drink. Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---