Veronica, I have read some posts on this forum from others who have been treated at VA hospitals for oral cancer and have indicated that they received very good care and treatment. I think Tami's suggestion to at least get a 2nd opinion at a comprehensive cancer center (CCC) is a good suggestion, if this is a possibility. They will fit him in quickly.

My husband had a very aggressive tumor and didn't get a chance to go for a second opinion after being diagnosed at Stage IV. However, as a follow up after he finished his chemo and radiation and surgery after that, we did go to a CCC for a second opinion regarding some additional treatment suggestions from his doctors, and they fit us in right away.

Sue and Veronica, stay strong for your dads. You will find much support and information on this forum from very caring and knowledgable people. Don't hesitate to post with any questions or thoughts. This forum has helped me significantly through my husband's journey.

Michele

Michele, caregiver to husband, Jesse, SCC diagnosed 1/5/06 unknown primary, lf neck mass >6 cm. Chemo (Cisplatin 2x; Carboplatin & Taxol 2x) & XRT radiation 39X ending 4/4/06. Rad neck dissection 8.5 hrs 4/13/06. 30 HBO treatments Fall 2006.