Ototoxicity, most specifically, high-end hearing loss, is a very common side effect of cisplatin and I am somewhat surprised you were not told about this beforehand. I think this can resolve somewhat but not always and not completely. It is the reason my husband Barry's medical oncologist did not want to give him this drug (he already had high-end hearing loss due to infections as a kid, plus normal aging). This hearing loss was affecting his ornithological work and he wanted to avoid additional damage as much as possible. He was given carboplatin which our MO said is giving her as good results as cis.

Our radiation oncologist also said that he would develop a radiation plan which would avoid radiating my husband's inner ears, so it appears that radiation too can affect hearing.

There is also the possibility -- since your husband says his ears feel "full" -- that he has some inflammation of tissue or the eustachian tube which is exacerbating the feeling of "water in the ears." Would expect this to resolve eventually.

Probably want to have an ENT examine him more thoroughly in a month or so. My husband had a post-treatment hearing test about 2-3 months after end of chemoradiation -- it showed no change from pre-treatment -- and that was about the recommended interval per our ENT.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!