Joyce --

I would realy second Tom J's recommendation and get to a swallowing/ speech therapist asap for evaluation. At many (should be all but isn't) CCC's treating HNC patients this is part of the regular protocol. In fact ideally (per the HNC conference I went to last week) you should meet with the therapist early-on to learn what to expect and how to do jaw-stretching exercises and swallowing exercises (as much as is possible) during treatment and afterwards, get a swallowing test to see what damage exists and how to correct with exercise etc. The risk is that things can and will get worse over time if the muscles, tendons and nerves are not used.

My husband's ENT is treating several patients who had radiation at a local facility without adequate advice on advoiding trismus and swallowing problems and are really working uphill to regain the ability. She warned Barry about this and prescribed a Therabite, he used it all the way through, has no trismus and (like Chuck) now uses it less often. He is still doing his swallowing exercises religiously and (seven months out) still sees weekly improvement.

Gail

CG to husband Barry, dx. 7/21/05, age 66, SCC rgt. tonsil, BOT, 2 nodes (stg. IV), HPV+, tonsillectomy, 7x carboplatin, 35x tomoTherapy IMRT w/ Ethyol @ Johns Hopkins, thru treatment 9/28/05, HPV vaccine trial 12/06-present. Looking good!