Rhonda,
Actually it's five years (the 7 year number is for companies willing to give former cancer patients life insurance) but 85% of recurrences (IF they are going to occur) at the original tumor site occur within the first 2 years, the first year being the highest percentage.

He is actually hitting the bottom both physically and emotionally right now. The radiation side effects carry on for about a month or so and depression is also very common. The immune system is trashed and opportunistic infections like thrush must be dealt with. It can also be a letdown because he is no longer actively fighting the disease (like Minnie mentioned). Progress in the early stages of recovery are measured in three week increments - it just take a LOT of patience).

I promise you it will get better with time. My first year was a little scary but I don't even think about it much now. I was so beat up I practically crawled out of the building.

My taste buds started recovering in about a month and took a good part of a year for total recovery. Salt was first, sweets were last.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)