I have to agree with Glenn. They can't possibly screen for everything and an undetectable, less than 2mm tumor, could be passing cancer cells into the blood. I have seen many FDA warning letters in the past to the Red Cross for inadequate screening and a variety of other issues (as well as many other local hospital blood banks, tissue gathering companies, etc.). I am not condemning the ARC, they work very hard at their integtrity. It must always be remembered that this is a medical ART not a SCIENCE - why subject someone to a potentially unknown variable when you KNOW you have or had a life threatening disease that has a high potential for being blood born.

There are also 5 million unDx'd people running around the US today with Hep C.

There are plenty of healthy people out there that can donate blood - let them step up.

By the way, just a little off topic - don't go to the FDA warning letter section and search for fish - you'll never eat it again.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)