John ( an Australian) loves to do the type of BBQ they do in the southern US where he smokes various cuts of meat for hours and hours. At Christmas, even though he was only 2 weeks out of treatment and couldn't eat a morsel, he insisted on smoking/roasting a turkey over apple wood. It created a lot of smoke and really made me think he should be staying away from that type of activity and possibility that type of food because of the possible carcinogenic properties of combusted wood.

I know there has been discussion on the site before about BBQ and smoked foods but has anyone been told by a doctor not to be around smoked foods or BBqs or has decided themselves that it might be too much of a risk factor?

It might sound a little overly cautious but John used to smoke meats or BBQ over wood 3 to 4 times a week for the last 3 years. I know moderation is key to any type of exposure but to see his head in smoke of any kind - even from apple wood, is nerve wracking.

Mary

Caregiver for John SCC left tonsil Stage III/IV dx Sept 05, tx started Oct 21/05 -IMRT 35, cisplatin 3 X 100mg/m2;completed Dec08/05.