Elena,

As several of the others have said, the rates and extent of recovery vary from one person to another, so we can't tell you whether you'll ever get back all of your taste buds or salivary function. However, since you're only 2 months from the end of radiation, it's not surprising that you still have dry mouth and problems with eating and tasting.

For me it was well over a year before all the numbness went away, and the taste buds got back to what felt "normal". I had conventional radiation, rather than IMRT, so the dry mouth persisted for a LONG time. However, with regular use of a combination of Salagen and Biotene products (and the ongoing effects of healing in my salivary glands), it has gotten much better. I eventually got back to enjoying the foods I used to like before cancer - and even started to enjoy some foods I used to dislike before cancer!

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989