Hello Shelia,
I had my peg tube removed about six weeks after my radiation ended and about two weeks after my neck dissection. I did wait until I was eating most things for about two weeks, I just forced my self to eat even if things did not taste to well, I would just keep going back to them. I had finished all of the treatment that I was going to have (rad, Chemo, Surgery) and I was anxious to get that damn peg tube out so that I could really begin my recovery, I am now eating everything, although there have been some taste adjustments to make, but it is better everyday. I do not know how long the average is for using a PEG but for me it was almost exactly three months.I intially lost 35-40 Lbs. and have gained about 20 or so back, that is where I hope to stay (180 looks much better than 205). I think the determining factor is how comfortable is your husband with eating, swallowing etc. These things should be coming back little by little, and tell him not to get discouraged, if something does not work for him(food) it might in just a few weeks. Hang in there my friends it does get better, it sometimes just seems so damn slow.
Always Lenny