I hacked blood and chunks of dead tissue for a while post Tx - perfectly normal - even after the thick mucous thing stopped. It's just part of the healing process.

I started feeling better at about 3-4 weeks post Tx. It actually got worse just after the end of treatment. It's kind of a cruel joke with this thing that one would expect that you would start feeling better immediately once the radiation is switched off but radiation is the gift that keeps on giving.

Doctors giving you "blue sky" crap like that are doing you a diservice. You need accurate information to make decisions about finances, applying for benefits and other things. Stick around here - we'll tell you the straight story. I just told my wife what they told you and she rolled her eyes back and laughed.

I am a bit ahead of Ed and my taste buds are fine today - although they always ask about it when I go in for my 6 month checkups. I enjoy food even more now than before Tx. Not being able to taste and swallow for so long was one of the hardest things to deal with and one of the things I dreaded the most.

I took over a year off to recover from the treatment. Physically I may have been able to jump in a little sooner but my ability to focus and stay on task in my consulting work was very difficult at first. My thinking was pretty scrambled. I am doing well now though and keeping very busy.

I can only imagine what could be worse than radiation and chemotherapy - being hit by a bus maybe?

Once again - patience!

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)