It's very exciting to me that we have become open to complimentary treatment. I would never sacrifice traditional medical treatment for something as serious and devastating as oral cancer, but I do agree that if an alternative therapy is harmless and can bring some good, and you're of the mind that you'd like to try it, I'd say go for it.

My real point in joining in this discussion is to comment on my personal experience with Reiki.
This may of be of some help to those who are experiencing anxiety due to diagnosis, treatment or just the knowledge that there is cancer or illness in the body. For people like my Aunt who wouldn't even hear of taking anti-depressants
or any other type of pill that could help, this may be just the ticket.

Seven years ago, my marriage suffered a devastating blow at the hands of my husband and another woman. I was so emotionally crushed, that it was hard for me to feel calm and safe for the first six months. I was nervous and fearful, and felt like my body was never resting- even at night, even during sleep. The convent I was going to monthly for spiritual direction had a nun who was a Reiki master. She was very well known for her abilities. I gave it a shot. Boy was I amazed! First of all, you do nothing but lie on a table for 45 minutes to an hour. You're told to meditate, relax and do nothing to contribute to what's going on. I did as I was told. When it was time for me to get up, I couldn't. I needed major help getting off the table. For the next few hours it was as if I was sedated. A pretty nice feeling actually, as opposed to how I felt when I walked in for my session. The "calm" lasted for three days and it was kind of disappointing to me when the feeling went away! I couldn't wait to go back again to have someone draw all of the tension out of my body.

I can not attest to Reiki's ability to heal (as some people claim), only to it's ability to help one relax and free the mind. For anyone who can't seem to handle the tension of life with cancer, I would definitely suggest that you give Reiki a try. Of course the outcome will not be the same for everyone, but if it can help to even take the edge off of your anxiety, go for it. It is completely harmless, the Reiki master never even touches you.

I'm going back again soon. :-)

Hugs,
Lisa

Niece to Aunt Ro- Dx: 4/03. SCC Stg 4 BOT with mets to fl of mth & crvcl lymph node. AdenoC 1 sal gland. Two add. reconstrc. surgeries for adhesions. Recurrence 7/06- Sub-Mand AdenoC. Mets to both lungs. Lost her battle 5/4/07.