Recently I was away from home for a couple of days and didn't take enough salagen with me to use my normal dosage (my normal dosage is the max dosage which is 10 mg 3 X a day) for a couple of days. I saved what I had for the night and found that my mouth was feeling AWFUL by midday. Really much drier than usual. I had not realized it was making such a difference until I didn't have it!

I have been on it for about a year and 1/2 and I didn't notice much of any effect until I went on the maximum dose (thankfully it does not seem to give me any of the bad side effects some people get) but I do notice now I get these gushes of saliva and I have noticed recently they are espeically pronounced from the big salivary gland on the right back side of my mouth, which is exactly the one I was told would be partially spared by IMRT. This means that often I have too much saliva in the back of my mouth on one side and none in the front where my teeth are sticking to my gums-it's hardly the same as having normal saliva, but I do think it helps. And I have heard of people's saliva continuing to improve even after being 2 years out from treatment so I'm hopeful mine will as well.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"