Karen - there are some good ideas in this forum (Insurance and Financial Forum) under the thread "Any advice on dealing with Social Services - topic starter Robin). I sure can understand your exasperation with the system! It is a rotten shame that someone so deserving, served his country and contributed to the system can be treated this way. My son was also denied disability insurance but I was encouraged by a some posters here to go ahead and ask for a hearing. You don't need a lawyer, you can just go yourself and represent your Dad and tell them like it is! I know that there are some very nice people at the SS offices but my son and I did run into some that were absolutely heartless! I could have just spit at them!! When he was denied he was really discouraged and just did not want to pursue it but soon after got a job so we never did request a hearing. I really think you should pursue this. Rant and rave all you want! It will help get you fired up to get in touch with the people concerned and let them know how serious this is and how much your Dad deserves to have some compensation serving his country and contributing all those years to the system. There's bound to be someone that is able to see the light and use some common sense! Hang in there. Let us know what happens.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)