I had to get prior approval last year to see a radiation oncologist at Ohio State even though they were in the Humana network - they were out of the "Cincinnati" Humana network. I had to get letters written by both my surgeon and my general practice doctor. I also had to make several phone calls and yell and throw a fit. It was really a pain. The office told me that if I didn't get it approved BEFORE the visit - that likely the insurance wouldn't pay - and since it was inside the hostpial at OSU - it would be about $500 or more for the consult (and they also read my slides so it was really more than that). They ended up approving it - but it took a good week or two.

I now have a different plan with a different company which has a wonderful cancer resources network. Call your company and see if they have a specific line for cancer related issues. If they do - this is the best way to proceed.

Good luck.

SCC Right Lateral Tongue T2N0M0 Dx 01/12/06, Surgery 01/25/06. Partial Glossectomy, Bilateral Neck Dissection - 22 lymph nodes - all clear. No radiation.