I am one of the fortunate ones who had private disability insurance when I was diagnosed. Although I hated making those payments, I did it for years and never missed a one. When I was first diagnosed, one of the companies sent an investigator who wanted
"to put a face with the name" to check me out. Fortunately I am a lawyer and had a former partner who specializes in insurance law who offered to help me for free, so I had the guy meet me at my lawyer's office and directed that all future communication be through my lawyer.

The company did pay, but I still did not appreciate a guy coming to investigate me...after all I had throat cancer, not carpal tunnel syndrome! Recently the other company ( I had policies with two companies ) sent its fraud investigator to check me out and "put a face with the name". I also had this fellow meet me at my lawyer's office.

Now company number one is sending a CPA to town to go over my tax returns, income statements and calendar in an effort to justify stopping payments. The irony is that I bought my policies back in the days when they allowed you to specify your " own occupation ", meaning if I cannot perform the main duties of my profession, they must pay. My occupation was specified as " trial lawyer." Our contention is that I still cannot try big, long, hard, jury trials, due to speech problems, fatigue, swallowing difficulties, etc.
The insurance companies want to ignore this approach and talk about how much money I am earning and how many hours I spend at the office.

Isn't it funny how the guy that sells you these policies is always a fine fellow, someone that you grew up with or whose kids go to school with yours. But when the catastrophe that you insured against arises and you make a claim, you encounter a whole different set of characters who are determined to pay you as little as possible, if anything at all.

Ah, insurance companies!

Danny G.

Stage IV Base of Tongue SCC
Diagnosed July 1, 2002, chemo and radiation treatments completed beginning of Sept/02.