Michele,
I can relate to all the noises that seemed to bother you. Please do not feel like you are being critical. I stood by my husband's side for ten long months as he suffered with stage 4 tongue cancer and I can tell you about every sound imaginable from snoring that sounded like a loud freight train to my husband waving and talking to strangers in his sleep (side effect from pain meds) to him waking up with severe rapid heart palpatations. You as a caregiver may experience more than you know but you will come through it and not even know how you did it.
I was stressed with two young kids and taking care of my husband that I wanted to close the door and scream. I told the social worker that I felt like getting in the car and driving straight across the country by myself. That doesn't mean I despised my husband or blamed him for being sick but caregivers will feel like they are about to lose it on occasion. Welbutrin (an anti-depressant) may help take the edge off if you are feeling down.

You mentioned something about nausea and chemo and the oncologist told us that usually the first or second day after treatment, the patient is OK, it's by the third or fourth day that nausea sets in.

Also about mucinex, I have bad sinus problems and the pharmacist said that all mucinex is is a higher does of Robitussin so it isn't as much as a miracle drug as we thought. My husband was able to put Robitussin in his peg tube at the time so I don't see what harm Mucinex would be, except for the strength of it. That I would ask your doctor first because I don't know what other meds your husband is taking.

OK, I hope I could help in some way. As a caregiver, try to take an hour or two for yourself once and a while. This may refresh you and make you more of a help to your husband.
Lisa